Thursday, February 9, 2012

Part B - Application of TPACK

Using the TPACK model, I am integrating technology as an additional way to try and have effective communication with my students' parents or guardians. I have been using my class website for a long time, but not nearly as purposefully for communication. In the previous months, my website has simply provided a resource for parents and students, but did not allow for active communication between the three of us. Through this project, I will be using increased technology to make materials, information, and feedback more accessible on a daily basis. I will keep it more up-to-date on class information and more informative from both parties. This technology will continue to use the development of my webpage on weebly missczerney.weebly.com. Through that website, I will post a Google Forms survey for them to complete, use Google Calendar to convey important dates in my classroom and the school, use the comment forum to allow parents to give additional feedback or ask questions, scribd to upload homework and worksheets, and I will also give additional links for parents that may be helpful to aid their students in learning and homework. Using these technologies, it will make my website their first step in gaining information, this may also cut down on the miscommunication and continual emailing from parents.

As I mentioned, this will keep parents on track with my only my classroom, but our grade level as a whole. For those that are more involved in their student's life, they will be able to follow with our lessons in class and gain an understanding of the skills and strategies I am asking their children to practice and demonstrate. In the past, this resource has been primarily for introductory information and a resource for student research, but not I am using the technology to portray that content to make it accessible for parents. The website will be well organized and easy to navigate. I will try to keep it simplistic, and may need to include more information on the initial page to help parents navigate.

After hosting parent-teacher conferences, a lack of communication became a common complaint from parents. It was not necessarily geared toward me, but rather our new teacher. I took it upon myself to make any changes I could to improve our overall communication as a grade level. I will also be making assignments available for parents when their child loses something. We have struggle a lot with staying organized and getting our work completed outside of school, so I hope this will help. Some parents will have constant access to these resources via their telephone. My only problem is that the parents without internet will still need the paper copies of notes and information. Student will continue to use this site for informational resources, but that information will be extended to our parents as well so that they can learn the material as well.

So far, I have given the survey to parents, included a Google Calendar, and given a feedback post on the site. Since these changes, I have seen an increase in viewing on my website statistics. I hope to upload worksheets and additional practice for students soon. I would like to get to the place where I have tutorials available for parents on the strategies we are using in class, which would use some kind of vidcasting resources. Also, in the survey I had parents create a code name for their student so that grades can be communicated through the website as well.

4 comments:

  1. I think it is a great idea to use your website as a communication tool with parents. I never thought to create a survey from Google forms for parents to fill out as well as a Google calendar. I hope that you do a much better job remembering to update your website each day. I have my own website as well; however, I find myself forgetting to update it as often as I would like. Here is my website napieralanews.weebly.com in case you want to see an example. Good luck Linnea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like it's working for you so far! I know some teachers at my school that have websites and have not had good luck with them. Some parents do not use the website, because either they do not care or are too busy. So, it is wonderful that you have seen an increase in viewing of your website! I also think it is great that you have a google calendar to show important dates. This is a great way for parents to easily see when important dates are. I had to create one of these for one of my CEP classes and found it very easy to use. I look forward to hearing more about your successful communication!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of posting some tutorials or instructions for parents. I know I have heard many parents, especially the ones with lower levels of education, say they would like to help but really don't know how. I also thought that the parent surveys online were a good idea. I think that some parents feel that their thoughts and concerns are not heard, and that would certainly help that. Sounds like things are going very well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your intentionality in the creation of the web site has resulted in a successful start. It will be interesting to see how things change, and how you alter the website to the needs that arise.

    Have any parents had an issue with the "code names"? What is your reasoning behind that?

    I look forward to seeing how your website morphs into an extremely useful and powerful tool.

    ReplyDelete